Monday, May 28, 2012

In Honor

Today is Memorial Day...A day to be thankful to all those that have come before us, that were willing to serve to protect our right of freedom.  In honor of this day, I am spotlighting one of my service ancestors.  Theron James Witherspoon.  He is my Great Grandpa Jesse Burrows half brother.  I don't know a whole lot about Theron but I know that he served during WWII.  He enlisted on March 10th, 1941.  He was a private in the Army.  From what I have been told Theron was on the front lines and seen hard action.  I wish I knew more about where he served.  Theron had a hard time adjusting to civilian life after his service.  It was so hard for him that he ran away from his family shortly after returning home.  He may have rode the trains for a long time.  One night, he showed up at Grandpa Jesse's house, saying he just had a feeling it was time for him to come home.  As far as I know he never married or had children.  I am grateful to my Great Grand Uncle Theron Witherspoon.  And to all the men and women who sacrifice so much for all of us.  Thank You!!




No comments:

Post a Comment