Saturday, April 7, 2012

Grandma Adamson's Chip Dip

So a lot of people think that family history is all about names and dates and the broad strokes of their lives.  Sometimes though the things that seem the most mundane can have great meaning behind it, or can leave you with more questions.... Take for example my Grandma Wavel (Pattee) Adamson and her famous chip dip.  OK, well maybe not famous but in my family it is definitely a necessity.  If we have any sort of family gathering it has to be there or someone is in trouble...usually me. LOL. 

One thing that has always been a mystery to me is where did she get this recipe?? Did she get it from her mother or her mother-in-law??   And as I am making it...standing there mixing the heavy whipping cream for about 10 minutes with an electric mixer, I wonder how many of my Grandmother's stood mixing the same thing and whether it went back to the days before the electric mixer, when women used the hand mixer.  Oh how long that would have taken.

Now I am unsure how much of my extended family makes this dip for every occasion like we do, but for my family it will always be a staple for every family gathering. And I may never know how old this recipe is but it's nice to think about my Grandma Wavel standing in the kitchen doing the same thing for her family that I now do for mine. :)

Grandma's Dip

1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
5 tubs of cottage cheese
5-6 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Beat heavy whipping cream till thick & frothy.  Add rest of ingredients and chill for at least an hour. Serve with chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment