Thursday, March 22, 2012

ancestry.com

I am going to stand on my soapbox for a few minutes.

First, let me say, I LOVE ancestry.com.  I really, really do.  It is very hard (not impossible) to do your family history without it.  But...

Yes, there is always a but...

But, their commercials drive me crazy.  They make it seem so easy. Just log on and follow the leafs...right?!?! While that would be great. It doesn't really work that way.  Yes, the leaves are helpful.  But they are not always accurate.  And their search engine that generates the leaves doesn't always get everything.  So can you get on and follow your tree all the way back to Adam and Eve just by following their leaves...no.  I think it is very misleading.  That may drive me crazy, but I don't really feel it's that big of an issue.  People soon (hopefully) figure out that they will actually have to do some research, eventually. :)

What makes me really irritated though is how people will get on and just start adding ancestry.com family trees to their lines without checking that it's all right.  So all it takes is one person to put up the wrong information and then before you know it three other people have added the same bad information to their tree.  So what might have started out as an innocent mistake, has now become fact. :( This makes me sad, sometimes.  Because all it takes is just a little bit more effort or sometimes just turning the page on a document to see that the answer was there all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment